Home about tutorials recipes before/after

Friday, November 11, 2011

Food Fun Friday - Fish Tacos

Mr. Produce doesn't really like fish. Especially Talapia.   I like fish -any fish, fixed almost any way.  I had some fish that I had been trying to serve for dinner for a couple of nights, and KNEW it only had a little shelf lift left.
I saw my friend Emily's blog.. and  POW that was it, it was the perfect recipe for dinner, and man o man was it delicious!!
Fish tacos by Emily


Talapia cut in 1" by 2"pieces (1lb or so)
Wondra flour 5 TBSP (or rice flour)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 TBSP canola oil
small flour tortillas
shredded cheese
avocados
cabbage
salsa* (*any salsa works, but the mango salsa from costco was perfect with the sweet coconut sauce)


1. Make coconut sauce, set aside.
2. Cut fish and put into bowl with flour mixed and spices, lightly coat.
3. Heat oil in a skillet on about med-med high.
4. Cook fish 3-4 min per side making sure each piece is in the oil until crispy and cooked through, golden brown.

SAUCE:
1 cup cream of coconut (Coco Lopez--in the mixed drinks isle, or any brand)and really just use the whole can, it is a smidge over a cup.
1 lime, zest and juice--about 1/4 cup juice
Stir together.

Next time I just might marinate the fish in the "sauce" for a while, before cooking it up.
we have sauce left over, and I'll use it in other recipes that call for a creamy sweetness!

Thanks Emily

5 Wonderful People Who Commented:

Susan Anderson said...

I am not a fan of fish tacos. I've tried. But for some reason, fish and Mexican food just don't work together for me.

=)

Silver Strands said...

YES - thanks to both you and Emily! So YUMMY. I'm a major fish fan and I can't think of a tastier way to eat fish than as tacos. Yay for blogs for reminding me!
oxoxo

Julia said...

I love fish and seafood but I've never tried it this way. I may try that. JB

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

we love taliapia..so I am definitely trying this..and hubby loves fish tacos..this should be tasty.)

Em said...

You're welcome!:)