It is still soup weather here, with another big storm tomorrow. I made this Sunday, yum yum nice and warm and filling. But I did some different things...
I used a crockpot.
I used Italian sausage and it was pretty spicy! (couldn't share it with my mom, WAY to spicy for her mouth) You could make it with any type of meat! or add beans and make vegetarian.
I did not add the zucchini until about an hour before we were going to eat.
I did not add the tortellini until about a half hour before we ate.
Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini
* 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 5 cups beef broth
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 cup red wine
* 4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
* 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
* 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
* 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
2. Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
3. Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.
I found this here