Home about tutorials recipes before/after

Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Food Fun-crockpot Groats (oatmeal)




I’ve decided to have a FOOD Fun for Friday. With recipes I’ve tried during the week. That way I’m motivated to cook and you get a recipe that has worked out great!
Win/Win
Today its GROATS

That is to say, overnight oatmeal in a crockpot.
(I got this from a great natural food blog)

This is a perfect cold-wet-blustery weather recipe. Waking up to the smells of cinnamon is nothing short of bliss. Have you heard of oat groats? It’s the whole oat and they look like this:
I get them in the bulk section at my local health-food store.


1 cup oat groats
1 3-inch piece of cinnamon stick
pinch of salt
4 cups water
1 apple peeled and chopped (optional)


Throw all this in your crock-pot and turn on low before heading to bed. Last night I started mine around 10pm and it was perfect by 6:30am, and judging by the dirty bowl in the sink, possibly even by 4am when my husband had a bowl before work. You can cook this on high as well with similar results but be warned your porridge will burn to the sides of your crock-pot. If you have leftovers, use them as a thickener for soup. They taste "fuller" than oatmeal, but just like oatmeal. yum

0 Wonderful People Who Commented: