Home about tutorials recipes before/after

Friday, August 5, 2011

Food Fun Friday- English Matrimonials

This is a family recipe  ( I think my mom made up the fancy name!)  Her Aunt Jess in Los Altos had an apricot orchard and every year we would pick apricots and eat them till we were sick!  We always had apricot jam around the house so my mother thinks these can only be made with apricot jam (NOT SO).

English Matrimonials 
otherwise known as Jam Bars.
1 1/2 C sifted flour
1C Brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 1/4 C Oatmeal (old fashioned)
3/4 C butter (softened NOT melted)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C jam
Put dry ingredients in a bowl.  Mix with butter until mixture is like crumbs. Mix with pastry cutter.
Pack a firm layer of 1/2 of crumbs in a 8X8 pan.  Cover with jam or preserves.  Cover jam with the rest of the crumb mixture.  Press firm.
Bake 325degrees 40-45 minutes.  Cool then cut.
I made these for the family reunion and they were a big hit. 
I used raspberry jam my Aunt Kathryn makes, (it is so good we call it gold)

4 Wonderful People Who Commented:

CB said...

I think I have made these before but I like your name better!!
P.S. Used to live 3 miles from Los Altos :-D

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

save me one..they look good..;) have a great weekend.;)

Susan Anderson said...

Yes, please. When will they arrive?

;)

Anonymous said...

My mother made them too. She had an international cookbook that had the recipe and they were in fact called English Matrimonials. They were an annual Christmas tradition at our house.