Home about tutorials recipes before/after

Friday, January 14, 2011

Food Fun Friday- Italian Bake

We are eating healthy, and are on a Atkins/South Beach kind of thing.
I can't remember where I found this recipe, but I finally tried it and thought it was really good.  Notice there is cauliflower instead of some sort of starch.  It was great, can't wait for lunch(left overs tomorrow)

next time I would:
*add A LOT more seasoning!!! much more! 
*more cheese too!!! yum yum
*use the whole head of cauliflower (oh and maybe? grate it next time, you see in the picture I just chopped it into chunks.


Italian Bake
1 lb lean ground beef
6 slices of bacon, chopped
1 sm onion, finely chopped
4 ox. green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 head cauliflower, grated
15 ox can chopped tomatoes, pureed in a blender (I did not puree this)
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 oz grated cheddar cheese
3 oz grated mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350
In a large frying pan, brown the beef, bacon, onion and green pepper.  Drain fat, and then add all of the remaining ingredients, except the cheese.
Mix thoroughly, Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Transfer to a large oven proof dish and to with the cheese.  Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until cheese is brown and bubbling.

5 Wonderful People Who Commented:

Liz Mays said...

That is SO up my alley!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

yum..will give this one a shot..you always post great recipes.;) have a great weekend.:)

Susan Anderson said...

Will you invite me next time you make this?

;)

Anonymous said...

That really looks and sounds good.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm a big cauliflower fan and this recipe looks great. Thanks for the tip.

And THANK YOU for the fab Domino Necklace you sent. I appreciate it so much and will wear it tomorrow to a cooking class I'm taking (on how to make pickles!)

Have a great weekend. jj