Home about tutorials recipes before/after

Friday, May 14, 2010

Food Fun Friday- Cafe Rio Salad

This is from my friend Emily (hi Em!!)
She said it was easy, and had it for Max's Blessing day Meal. The family is coming to dinner Saturday for Mr. Produce's Birthday, so I think I'll 'whip' this up!. Wish me luck

I have never been to Cafe Rio... don't really know what kind of food they serve but I have seen "Cafe Rio" mentioned on MANY blogs (megan I know I've seen it on your blog) .... anything else I need to know???

Cafe Rio pork salad
Pork
Night Before:

3 ½ to 4 lb. Pork Roast
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 to 1 ½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt

Mix together and rub on pork roast. Put in crock pot on low. Cook all
night.

Next morning, add:
1 can coke
1 cup chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped

Keep cooking all day in crock pot on Low.

About an hour before serving, shred roast and add:

1 cup brown sugar

Salad Dressing:

1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing Mix
8 oz. can Salsa Verde
2 cloves garlic
¾ cup Mayo
¾ cup sour cream
¼ tsp Tabasco Sauce
¼- ½ cup fresh cilantro

Mix in blender. Add lime juice to taste. Mix ahead of time and chill
it for several hours. It can be thinned with buttermilk if needed.

Serve this over Shredded Lettuce and crunched up tortilla chips and
top with beans, pork, dressing, cheese. The dressing makes a ton.... Yum

5 Wonderful People Who Commented:

The McEwans said...

This is where I get mine from. Way yummy and I think it's pretty spot on.
http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/2007/11/jared-and-i-love-cafe-rio.html

Susan Anderson said...

I got mine from Em, too. In fact, the receipt is sitting right here by the computer. I'm thinking of making it for Sunday dinner!

Nice call.

=)

Kissed by an Angel said...

Looks gorgeous!!! Yum!!
xxxx

lori said...

that looks so good. I had to stop by from finding fabulous because I saw your name and my codename/twitter is loriloowho.

Em said...

and...what did you think?i'm making it again this sunday. can't get enough of that pork.