Home about tutorials recipes before/after

Friday, November 12, 2010

Food Fun Friday- Crockpot Oatmeal- Steel Cut

healtyhealthyhealthyhealthy...      hey folks.. I'm reallllllllly trying here.

Costco has STEEL-CUT oatmeal at a really good price.  I've always read that the steel-cut oatmeal is the best for you (something about all the nutrients aren't striped away)
I made overnight crockpot oatmeal before here , in fact it was my very first Food Fun Friday.  I used Groats,  but today I used the steel cut oatmeal.  The same but different. Still, this is a nice warm addition to these cold rainy mornings.   AND ... it's easy sneezy

Crockpot Oatmeal using Steel-Cut Oatmeal
8 Cups water
2 Cups steel-cut oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients in a 5 quart slow cooker and turn on low heat.  Cover with lid and cook 8 hours.  Fruit pieces can be added with the ingredients at the start or right before serving if you prefer.

Those are the official directions.  I added some cinnamon.(I would add a lot more next time)  After 10 hours of cooking, it was a little bit watery.  I like my oatmeal thick so I can add milk.  There wasn't much flavor.  It would be so much better if you added a little maple syrup!  or just a little bit of stevia or truvia sugar!  Or anything else to give it FLAVOR... any suggestions???? 

I would have been hard pressed to get my girls to eat this when they were young.
Maybe it's because my father grew up so poor, but he LOVED oatmeal, and cream of wheat, and grits and other warm grainy "cereals".  He loved oatmeal, so of course I loved oatmeal. 

7 Wonderful People Who Commented:

Momza said...

I love Coach's Oats from Costco.
Steel cut, and hearty. Nothing mushy about them at all!
Never thought about crockpotting them, tho! Thanks for the idea!!
Have a Great Weekend!!

Lauren said...

I do not love oatmeal.
Unless it is in baked goods.
Then I love oatmeal.
I do love flax.
You could add some berries and some flax seed, maybe that would spice it up?

Lisalulu said...

I REST MY CASE

The Single Nester said...

I have only had one good bowl of oatmeal in my life. I have tried to make it myself and each time, it was like eating cardboard. I have given up on . . .

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I grew up on the instant oatmeal and loved it..slathered in maple syrup and a touch of butter..I must give this a shot..haven't have good oatmeal in a long time..we buy those little packets and eat it from time to time.;)

Home and Heart said...

I am a LOVER of oatmeal, cream of wheat , grits etc. This looks YUMMY to me!! Love the "chewy" texture of steel cut oats. Oatmeal and cornmeal pancakes are good too. Thanks for the recipe!

Susan Anderson said...

What a great thing to wake up to!

=)